Monday, January 4, 2016

Let there be light

So I woke up one morning and it was the beginning of December. I blinked at some point and all the sudden we were yelling,"Happy New Year!" December came and went and I only did one post. I am shame faced and I hope to be better. December was full of cutting holes in our ceiling, hanging dry wall and painting. Not to mention the fun stuff like choir concerts, where a certain 7 year old told us that he didn't need to wear Sunday clothes so we made sure his jeans didn't have holes in the knees and off we went. Only to find out that he was one of only two children that weren't in Sunday clothes. Not great. Anyway, there was a choir concert and painting of ornaments and staying up way too late the entire two weeks of Christmas break. It was wonderful and amazing and it went by too fast. Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start. If you aren't singing the song from Sound of Music now, you need to stop reading this and go watch it. I love that movie! I digress, there is a guy in our ward that has been telling us since September that he was going to come over and put lights in our living room. He's super busy. He's in school full time and has a lovely wife and four littles. We get that he's busy and were thankful that he had offered to help, but figured we would just save up and pay someone to come put in the lights. Our home teacher owns a lot of rentals and he gave us the name of the guy he uses. He's a retired electrician and does things like install lights for $25 an hour. We thought it was an answer to prayer. B texted the guy to see if he would be interested in doing the work. A few hours later the guy responded by saying, "Thanks, not interested." At least we knew exactly how he felt about doing our lights. B was home one Tuesday because he was post call, so he had the day off. His phone rang and it was P, the guy from our ward that had said he would put in the lights. He said,"I'm coming over right now to put in those lights." I love that he didn't ask, he just told B he was coming. Come he did. He had B make a list of the things they would need to buy at Home Depot, made a Depot run and were back to start cutting holes in the ceiling. I can't believe I forgot to take a before picture. Just imagine the ceiling without holes in it.


 Seeing the pictures makes me feel like cutting holes in the ceiling should have been so fast, but it took a long time. They had to measure and stud find and measure again and move the pencil outlines of the holes and measure one more time just to be sure. Then they were able to cut the holes. Talk about a dusty project. When they were done our tree looked like it had been flocked. Did I take the time to dust it you ask? Do you know me at all? Of course I didn't dust it. I hate dusting! I make the two year old dust. But, since the two year old isn't allowed to touch the tree, it just sat there in it's pretend flocked glory. We shook it semi good when we took it down to get some of the dust off. Good enough for who it's for right?!


Look how dark it is in there. Hence the light installation. P is the guy on the ladder. He taught B everything including how to put the wires in the cans.


Then he taught B how to shove the cans up into the ceiling. Since B is taller than P, B did a lot of the higher work. P got here at around 11:30 in the morning and they didn't get done until just after 5:00. Can I just say the Youtube makes everything look so fast and easy.  Liars! 


Ta-duh! The finished project. B and I are so thankful that P was willing to come spend his entire day at our house. It's still a little dark in the corner where the Christmas tree is, but don't panic. When we took the tree down the day after Christmas(because I'm crazy and that's the day it comes down. Honestly the day after Christmas when we get to take everything down might be my favorite day of the year. Fact.) Anyway, when we took the tree down, we moved the lamp over into the corner and now it's perfect! We love it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Voting