Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Out with the old Part I

I know, the mind reels to think that I would actually write two weeks in a row. Let this be proof that miracles haven't ceased! Let's get on with it shall we? The time has come to finish what we started with our kitchen! It took a few weeks so you get the update in stages. Not only will that give me something to write about another time, but then you'll have to wait in the same anticipation that we did as we waited for things to get done and installed. First up are the counter tops.
 For your viewing enjoyment, let's start at the very beginning. Here is what it looked like with a horrible, totally unnecessary wall. That was the first thing to go.

 Yay! The wall is gone and so is the awful green paint. The tan only brought out the ugly cabinets so

 We changed it to grey. Well, in the can it was grey but on the walls it looks purple so, that's not great but we're tired of painting so the purple walls stay.

 Taking out the floors was next. This floor project took almost a year to happen. We didn't realize how much flooring is. Live and learn folks. If you don't want a hole in your floor for a long time, make sure you have the money for a new floor prior to taking out a wall. Just sayin'.

 The wood floor goes in. Aw wood. Nuff'said!

The floors all done and looking spiffy. Now we come to the counter tops! Another year goes by and then...

Demo Day Night!
Lifting a cast iron sink out of it's hole is heavy! Thankfully, I have muscles like Superman and I was a huge asset to this little endeavor and B didn't feel like he lifted the entire thing by himself. 😉


 After the sink was out of it's hole and taken outside, it was time to remove the old counter tops. The counter top place said they would be happy to do the demo for a $600 fee. B threw his head back and laughed his evil laugh before he told them he could do it in his sleep! Ok, not really. The lady told him that it would cost $600 to have them do it, we had flash backs to taking out a wet bar and had total confidence that we, (now when I say we, we all know that I mean B right?) could take off these here counter tops without a problem at all. B remembered he has a 30 pound sledge hammer and knew counter top removal would be a breeze with that baby!

I keep telling him that if his hospital gig doesn't go as well as he planned that he could totally be a demo guy.

Besides being picture taker, my job was to go around the cabinets and pull the nails out that got left behind. Yeah, that didn't go so well for me. After spending at least 3 1/2 minutes trying to take out one nail, I decided enough was enough and I watched in awe as B went along the cabinets and pulled the nails out like it was no big thing.

Then the next morning...
The counter top guys came! I am way over granite. I feel like it's in every house and it's usually dark. Our little kitchen is not a great place to have something dark. We picked a quartz that looks like marble. Not that we were trying to get the look of marble, we weren't we just liked the grey through the white. Annnyway, they carried this up the stairs like it didn't weigh anything. I asked if it was heavy. They said that quartz weighs between 15-17 pounds per square foot. They said that this piece isn't too bad thanks to the sink hole that takes out about 100 pounds of the overall weight. 

They put it down and then had to slide it into place. Once it was in place they both said they weren't looking forward to carrying in the other piece. I asked why and they said it was a lot heavier.

They kept the wheels on it so once it was up the stairs, they could roll it over to the cabinets. 

They said that this piece weighed about 500 pounds. I was amazed that they didn't drop it. But then again, I can only bench press about 26 pounds. No lie folks. They got it on and secured it in place. I have no idea how they did it because I may or may not have been reading while they did that part. All I know is that they were here until almost 3:00. They shook my hand and went on their merry little way. 

We didn't want to pay them to plumb the sink. If I remember right the lady said that to have their plumber come it would cost us over $1000. B said he could figure it out. He did. And it didn't even take him forever. What a guy! I forgot to take a picture of just the counter top because that's not the last thing we did. Hold on to your knickers folks, a picture is coming. I leave you in suspense so you'll come back! I imagine it's like a cardiovascular surgeon recommending that his patients eat fast food, it's job security, get 'em to come back! 









1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you don't have a pic of the entire counter! That's just plain mean! I did love seeing the pics go in order though, I approve all the improvements your making, it's looking so fabulous! Way to go guys!

    ReplyDelete

Voting