Sunday, January 5, 2014

Cars, overpriced canvas and...

A full length mirror! That was M's big gift. I told her on Christmas Eve that she had a gift that I really wanted and so there was a good chance that I would just keep it. She just laughed and rolled her eyes. I've been telling her and K that they weren't getting any presents because B and I were just going to keep them. Truth be told I didn't want the hot pink alarm clock that she was getting or the hot pink sweatshirt. But I really wanted the mirror. I wanted to put it in my room and dance in front of it. When I was little my parents had a mirror attached to their closet door. I would spend hours in front of it singing and dancing. Some habits are hard to break. Don't you worry your pretty little heads off, I was grown up enough that we gave it to her. We knew that she would love it. I have caught her more than once standing in front of it admiring herself. Of course all K wanted was cars. M made quite the list of things that she wanted. On Christmas Eve K came over to me and said,"mommy, we forgot to make my list of what I wanted for Christmas." I told him he didn't need to make a list. I asked him what he wanted and he said,"cars." I said,"and what else?" He smiled and said,"just cars." I told him that's why he didn't need to make a list. When you only want one thing, you don't need to write it down. B and I don't do gifts for each other. We feel like Christmas is for kids. Not to mention that giving gifts feels me with a whole lot of anxiety. I worry that I won't get the right thing. Or what if they don't like what I get them. I have to have a list of ideas. If there's no list I almost go into hysteria. So gifts for each other is usually out. But this year I had an epiphany and knew exactly what I was going to get B.

When we went to look at our family pictures the photographer showed us this one. We both loved it but her prints where so much money that we didn't feel like we could justify getting one. Don't panic ladies and gentlemen. The wheels in my head were turning. It was a Thursday night. B had scouts. As soon as he left for scouts, I called her and told her that I wanted this print in a canvas for Christmas. She had me come over the next morning to pick a size. I don't remember the size of this one. Let's just say that it's big by big. It hangs quite nicely right above our bed. I thought that he knew about it because I had wrapped it and hidden it in a closet downstairs with the vacuum. I knew that B wouldn't open that closet so it was safe. On Christmas Eve M and K decide that we should play memory. It sounds harmless enough, but they take turns setting the game up. Instead of just covering their faces, they hide. Of course K decides to hide in the closet with the vacuum. He opens the door and says,"Whoa! I see a huge present in here. Who is that for?" B is sitting almost right next to him. I try not to sprint over there and slam the door shut. I did manage to walk to the closet. I whispered to him to be quiet, it's a surprise for daddy. M hear's the word present and comes running over. She looks in the closet too and says,"Mommy?! Who is it for?" I told her to be quiet, it's for daddy. B didn't say anything but I was sure that he knew there was a present for him in the closet. That night I laid in bed until I was sure that B was asleep. I snuck down the stairs, got the picture out of the closet and put it under the tree. On Christmas morning, B didn't say anything so I was positive that he knew it was there. About ten minutes in to opening presents he said,"Sweety? What's that present? Remember you weren't supposed to get me anything?" I told him to just relax, it was for both of us. He opened it, loved it and gave me the award for being his favorite wife! I asked him if he had known about it. He said no. When I asked him what he had thought when both M and K had found it in the closet and asked about it. He told me that he thought they were just being nerds and making stuff up. Isn't it so awesome?! I love it and I think that it was worth every dollar. Now for your viewing pleasure, here are the cute members of our family on Christmas.

 
This is waiting to go down the stairs to see the tree. Both of them slept with their Santa hats on.

They helped each other open gifts

We thought that he would go nuts to rip the paper apart. We were wrong. We handed him some paper to tear apart. He put it on the floor and crawled under the tree. He loved to play with the stand of the tree. He left all the presents a lone and went for the stand. I ended up opening his presents because he was too interested in the stand the tree was in.
Isn't it lovely! My little heart gets so excited just looking at it. I always wanted a mirror that is on a stand that you can move up and down. Having it is like a dream come true!

Putting this picture on is simply because I love it. I don't know who in their right mind wouldn't like it. He loves to stand especially next to the couch. We had an awesome Christmas and loved watching our kids. Christmas with little kids is the best!

2 comments:

  1. So the full length mirror is...AWESOME!!! Where did you find it? And the pic of you and B is PERFECT!!! I love it! Love the Christmas pictures of everyone and it was just lovely talking to M today! Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sneaky! Love the pics of the kids....especially that little one who just looks WAY big! Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete

Voting