Friday, February 7, 2014

Martha Stewart I am not!

The other day I was thinking that I wish chicken would go on sale. I didn't realize we were almost out. Usually I get our chicken at Costco. I love Costco for so many reason's but to my chagrin, Costco is 45 minutes away from our house. So, there's no such thing as a quick Costco run. I went to Aldi, the grocery store that I love almost as much as Target and mini cadbury eggs, (which is a lot,) and what to my wondering eyes should appear?! A miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer!  Boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale for $1.59 a pound! I truly almost hugged the lady standing next to me. I was so happy! I promptly put some in the bottom of the cart and went home. I usually put the chicken in a Ziploc and then put it in the freezer. Well, unbeknownst to me, we only had about five Ziploc's left. I got this brilliant idea to freeze the chicken breasts individually and then just add them to the Costco bag of chicken that was already in the freezer. I got out our oldest cookie sheet and placed a cooling rack on it. I thought that the chicken would freeze to the cookie sheet, so laying it on a cooling rack would prevent that. I put some chicken on said cooling rack, put another cooling rack on top of the chicken and then put more chicken on that cooling rack. I had two chicken breasts that wouldn't fit on the cooling racks. I didn't want the chicken too close together or they would become a frozen mass. I got out a plate, put waxed paper on top of the chicken that was on the cooling rack, put the two chicken breasts on the plate and then put the plate on the waxed paper. The reason for the waxed paper was so the plate wouldn't freeze to the chicken below it. I put it in the freezer and was so pleased with myself for thinking of this brilliant idea. I honestly couldn't wait to take the individually frozen chicken breasts off the plate and cooling racks, put them in the chicken bag and report to family and friends how awesome I am and that they can celebrate that they know someone as smart and frozen chicken savvy as I! Most of you are already shaking your head and thinking,"bless her heart!" I was right that the chicken would have frozen to the cookie sheet. It was a stroke of genius to put a cooling rack down first, but in case you don't know, cooling racks don't have magical non freezing powers. Chicken freezes to cooling racks and waxed paper and the bottom of plates. When I pulled the chicken out of the freezer I was whistling a little tune and in my head thinking I was so bright! Then I tried to take the first chicken breast off the plate. It didn't move. I was able to lift up the chicken, still frozen to the plate, attached to the waxed paper, frozen to more chicken, frozen to a cooling rack, frozen to more chicken, attached to yet another cooling rack, in one big lump of frozen chicken chaos. Oh dear! It was terrible! I had already worked out for the day, but it would be a lie to say that I didn't work up another sweat trying to chisel the chicken off of whatever it was frozen to. I was huffing and puffing and the chicken was content to stay stuck in place. I thought that maybe I could pick up the cookie sheet and drop it on the counter. Surely that would rattle the chicken loose. Nope. the only thing that rattled was the actual counter top as it was assaulted over and over by a frozen cookie sheet. I did manage to pry the plate off and pick off the waxed paper. Then I got out a butter knife to try and pry the chicken apart.

I wish that I would have taken a picture from the side so that you could see that the chicken was frozen together through the little slats in the cooling racks. I was pulling so hard on the stupid frozen chicken that I broke one of the cooling racks and bent the other one so now it won't sit flat. After much trial and tribulation, I was able to get all of the frozen poultry off of the cooling racks and into the Costco bag. Said bag was then thrown into the freezer and the door was slammed shut. Stupid frozen chicken!  

4 comments:

  1. Ha, Ha, Ha!!!! I'm totally laughing! I do put mine on cookie sheets and then drop them on the floor to loosen them....someone really needs to give us better ideas on how to freeze our chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!! What if you butter the cookie sheets or cooling rack first? Maybe that would work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! I'm crying I'm laughing so hard. I'm sorry the cooling racks don't have magical non freezing properties... We should get on inventing that :-) Kevin says he knows what to get you for Christmas. 2 cooling racks coming right up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve an award for not just throwing the frozen mess away....I would have been so tempted to do so! I always love reading your posts! Miss you

    ReplyDelete

Voting