Monday, April 27, 2015

Oh boy!

Last week was the week that I dread as soon as we find out that there's offspring in utero. It's what nightmares are made of. It's what brings out the true crazy inside of me. Potty training week. Even saying the words, my core tightens with dread and my eyes fill with tears. When I say that I dread it while young one's are in utero, I'm not exaggerating. Truthfully, I've been dreading potty training my own children since sixth grade. My friend Gretchen, not from Sweden, not that I have a friend Gretchen from Sweden, but Gretchen sounds like such a Swedish name and in my mind all Gretchen's should have an amazing Swedish accent. My friend didn't, she was a red head from Orem, Utah. I digress, Gretchen and I were walking around at recess one day and we were talking about having kids. Gretchen said that she didn't know if she wanted to have kids. I said,"Yeah, just think about trying to potty train a little kid." She looked at me kind of weird and said that she was talking about the pain of actually having a child. But even at the ripe old age of 12 I knew that there was NO way I would have a child without an epidural. The pain wasn't the issue, it was potty training. Well folks, the time had come in little B's life. It was ingrained in my brain by my mom that you start potty training your kids the Monday after they turn two. That way they're ready to go to nursery on Sunday without accidents. I was filled with guilt that little B is actually 25 months old was wasn't potty trained yet. On Sunday night I prayed one more time to know if the young one was ready to ditch the diaper. This was one of the few times in my life that I was wanting a no answer. I was told yes he's ready. Monday morning seemed to come too fast. To say that Monday was a truly terrible day would be a gross understatement. We have six pairs of training pants and I did laundry three times to wash them. I had no clue that he peed so much every day. Most of the day was spent in tears and they didn't come from the little one. By 6:00 that night I was second guessing that I was told that little B was ready, because it seemed quite the opposite. We had just finished practicing and I was cleaning up. I was just washing my hands, he was standing next to me and he peed on the floor. I about punched a hole in the wall. We both burst into tears as we practiced again. I looked at the ceiling and said,"Just once! Help him pee in the potty just once today!" We cleaned it up and started the bedtime routine that seems to take forever especially when it's been a truly awful day. I brushed his teeth and told him that he needed to try going potty again. I put him up there and miracles of miracles, he peed in the potty! I started jumping up and down and clapping and hugging him and kissing his little cheeks. He started clapping and yelling "Yay! I did it!" Tuesday was better than Monday. He even pooped in the potty on Tuesday! Wednesday was awesome! I think he only had one accident on Wednesday. Since Wednesday, he's only had one accident! He stays dry during his naps and at night. I was worried about nursery on Sunday and how that would go. I took him potty two or three times during nursery just to make sure he didn't have an accident on the church floor; because that would be awful! One of the times I took him I didn't think that he would go since he had just gone at the end of sacrament meeting. Since I didn't think he would go, I didn't take the time to push his manhood down. Of course he went and it got all over the back of his pants. Thankfully we had brought extra pants. Too bad they were sweats and looked awful at church. But, I didn't really care because we hadn't needed to change them because he had an accident. I take none of the credit. It was ALL Heavenly Father. There is no way we could have started the week out the way that we did and then two days later be accident free.




When we potty train our kids, we don't put pants on them. Thankfully he doesn't like pants so that wasn't a problem for him. There was one of the days that he wouldn't keep his shirt on either, but he was freezing so I put socks on him to try and at least keep his feet a little warmer. I wish I had taken a picture of him in just undies and socks.


This is what I found this morning. He really doesn't like to wear pants. He must have taken his pants off and his undies came off too. When I asked him why he didn't have any undies or pants on he smiled a mischievous smile and said, "I don't know" I am so thankful that he caught on to potty training so fast and that Heavenly Father helped him so much. It makes me so happy to know that we won't have to potty train another little one. Yipee for no more diapers!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you guys made it! I think potty training would be a good birth control :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for little B and for you!!!!!! I couldn't agree more, especially the part where you said you about punched a hole in the wall! It's SO frustrating!!! Yay, for only having to really deal with the mess for one day! Teren was by far my best potty trainer, I only had to do one boy but he proved the "boys are more difficult to potty train" theory wrong. Little B, your the man!!!

    ReplyDelete

Voting