Thursday, March 17, 2016

Let's try our hand at skiing!

It doesn't snow much around these parts. The good news is that it doesn't take long to get to snowy-er locations. One weekend we loaded up the car with snow gear, offspring and dreams of playing in the snow and off we went. The drive was five hours and right as we were coming out of the canyon, little B started to cough. I turned around to asked if he was ok.  I looked back just in time to see him start throwing up. Catching vomit in your bare hands is one of those super unpleasant parenting moments that no one warns you might come. To say that I was calm the whole time would be a flat out lie. I was gagging and dry heaving. It was awful. We were still about 15 minutes away from a gas station. I thought the drive had been long before the vomiting episode but, the drive to the gas station post vomit felt a lot longer. We were going to stop in at a friend's house to say hello, but decided to go clean up little b and his car seat instead. Not gonna lie, I was really looking forward to a good hand scrub myself. It just must have been a bout of carsickness because he was totally fine right after it happened. Truthfully, he had been fine right before too. He didn't say that he ever felt yucky. Anyway, we got everything cleaned up and did a batch of laundry and went to bed. The next morning we went to the baptism of our friends little boy and then it was off to the skiing hill. M has been skiing once, when she was three. K has never been skiing but, both of them were excited to try it. Well, kind of.
They went night skiing . I don't know why M looks so mush bigger than K. Their height difference isn't that much. I didn't go because little B is too little to go so I stayed with him. Not to mention, I don't ski. I tried once in my life and after an entire day of trying, I still couldn't stop. After I took out a skiing instructor who was helping a very small child, I decided that skiing wasn't my sport. I happily bow out and stick to kid duty.


I love this picture! When I saw it I commented on how dark it was. B told me that it wasn't really that dark, the flash had just gone off. I love that they all look so happy! They all had so much fun.


 Aren't they so cute?! We have known these boys since we lived in Florida together. It was B's baptism that we had gone to. He's the one standing next to K. M and K were really excited about going skiing with C and B.

M picked it up really fast. Before they went she was really nervous. She kept asking questions about how high the mountain was and if there were a lot of cliffs that she was going to fall off of. B tried explaining the ski resort set up. That there were trials and as long as she stayed on the trails she would be fine. She was still really nervous. Skiing is something that B really wants our kids to learn to do. He loves skiing and he loves thinking about all the times that his family went to Snowbird when he was growing up and went skiing. He talks about putting snickers in his coat pocket, where they would freeze and then he would eat them on the chair lift. He loves to go to Utah and have as many siblings, and his mom, when she can, go skiing together. I think one of the hardest things for him when we lived in Florida and North Carolina was not being able to go to Snowbird and ski. Skiing for him is right up there with BYU football. If you know him at all, you know there's a whole lot of his heart with BYU on it. So, his love for skiing is deep. Anyhow, M caught on really fast. B said that K got it too, but was really nervous about doing it alone. B skied backwards so he could face K as they skied down holding onto the same pole. Once in awhile B said that he let go of the pole and K was going down by himself. But, if K noticed, he started to panic. B wanted to take K's picture, but K was too nervous to let B let go of the pole and take one. I would have loved to a picture of K skiing. Hopefully we'll get one next time.

I think this sign is so cool! It's on our way home and I've been trying for a long time to remember to stop and take a picture. Just in case you were wondering, the snow around this sign was a whole lot deeper than I thought it would be. I stepped on it and sunk to almost my knees. Truth. and I was wearing sandals. Not great. Anyway, the skiing weekend was a raging success and both M and K are excited to go skiing again! 

2 comments:

  1. So much fun!!!
    Good job M!!
    love you guys
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man,I'm with you T, I went skiing once and that was enough. How fun for them though!

    ReplyDelete

Voting