Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Walking and walking and walking some more

The doorknobs in this house are to blame for the series of unfortunate events that took place around these parts yesterday. Imagine if you will, a doorknob. In my mind they all look the same. They are round in nature and usually twist to open. Most doorknobs have a handy little lock that you can twist as you exit your dwelling. Doing this twisting motion before you exit will unlock said doorknob, if it was locked to begin with. If it wasn't locked, it'll now be locked since your amazing wrist can do a flick and lock it. Well, if you have super duper extra annoying doorknobs, the door will open even if the lock is still in the lock position. Since the door opens, ones brain might think that the door is already unlocked and that it is fine to leave it unlocked since it's the door to the garage. The front door is already locked and dead bolted. You're just running two small children to school, so you'll just go out the garage, push the handy ten second delay on the garage door closer button thing, and walk the 1/4 of a mile or whatever it is to the school and then whistle a happy tune as you walk home on this beautiful morning, pushing a two year old in a stroller thinking about how great it is to live close enough to the school that each morning you get to spend time with your three children as you walk them to their institution of knowledge. Or instead of whistling a happy tune you're actually thinking that it's freezing cold and that you can't wait to get home and walk inside. Not to mention there is a two year old in the stroller that has a runny nose and the tissue that you brought is already so full of snot that you have now had to resort to using your own shirt, but you're a mom, so a little snot on the front of your shirt is normal. You're also thinking that the blasted jogging stroller is extra hard to push today and upon further inspection, you realize that the front tire is totally flat. Getting home is sounding more and more wonderful. You round the corner, your house is in sight, you're almost there! Then right as you get to the flag pole where the BYU flag is waving, in the breeze, you realize that there is probably a million percent chance that as you left the house today making sure the front door was locked and dead bolted, that you forgot to unlock the annoying lock on the annoying doorknob that leads from the house to the garage. You think for a split second that maybe the sliding glass door is unlocked since a certain two year old thinks it's amazing that the door slides, so he slides it open and bless his little heart, he does try to close it and he gets close every time, but his not able to get it all the way closed. The next second you remember that you did in fact finish closing the sliding glass door and lock it before you left. You check just in case. Locked. You then think about how you know that Heavenly Father is in deed a God of miracles. You think that maybe you'll just sit on the driveway and wait for an angel to come down from heaven and unlock the door for you. After staring at the sky waiting for your angel to appear, you think that maybe you aren't going to have a Joseph Smith experience and start thinking about how you're going to get out of this conundrum. You know a few things. You and your two year old are locked out of the house. You know that your amazing husband has keys with him, but he's at work. Your amazing flip phone with contacts, mostly from out of state, so it's basically useless, is also locked in the house. So you can't call anyone. You know that there are in fact members of your ward in the area, but you don't know where they live. There are two families that you know where they live. Family #1- mom is a teacher and dad is going to school so chances of them being home is slim to none. Family #2- live a mile and a half away, but if she isn't home, you have to walk the mile and a half back. You know what you have to do, you're just trying to think of any other option. After another glance at the sky for one last angel check, you load your two year old in the umbrella stroller, since the jogging stroller has a flat and you can't figure out how to pump it up,  with the annoying wheels that don't always roll like a wheel should and you set off for parts unknown. We had to walk to the hospital to get  the keys from said husband. What else is there to do? He's on call so he might be home really late. You can't just sit outside all day hoping that he gets home before midnight. What if he doesn't? That would be truly awful to sit outside all day and all night. Now when I say set out for parts unknown, that's because I didn't know how to get to the hospital. I knew that it is south west of our house. I had the general idea of where it is, but I didn't know for sure where to go. Thankfully little B loves walks, so he was so happy to walk and walk and walk. There are also side walks most of the way there. There was on point where we had to walk on the road for a little over a mile, but it was fine. We were only chased by one dog, oh wait, two dogs. We only got sprayed by sprinklers once, but, when I say sprayed I mean that we basically had to run through them. We got wet enough that we had to hang our jackets up to dry when we got home. We passed a house that had a clock hanging on the outside, not uncommon around here, anyway, we passed it and it said that it was 9:25. We had probably already been walking for 20 minutes. Then we passed a bank sign that said 9:55. We walked and walked and walked and walked and then we walked some more. Thankfully we started to see those blue signs with a white H telling folks where the hospital is. We followed those signs and saw parts of the city that I didn't even know were there! I saw a Pita Pit and was really excited until I got close enough to see that it isn't in business any more. I saw a Papa John's and thankfully that is in business. Not that we ever get that because well, it's too expensive. But when you've been walking for so long that you feel like the stroller you're pushing may as well be a handcart and your cut off sweats( I didn't feel like I really needed to get ready for the day because B's the only one I care about impressing and since I wasn't planning on seeing him, because he was on call, I put on cut off sweats. I didn't do my hair either. Actually, that's normal. However, I did have a bra on! Not that I need one but I've been told that it's socially unacceptable to go out without one on, so on it goes, usually.), I digress, I was feeling like my sweats could have turned into a long dress. I was really tapping into my pioneer ancestors! I'm just sayin' that seeing the Papa John's made my mouth water and I'm really happy to know that there's one here. Anyway, we finally rounded a corner and saw the hospital! I almost wept with joy! We picked up the pace, found an entrance that just happened to be by some bathrooms which is really good because the little with me said that he needed to go potty and when he stood up to walk, he had to hold his legs together. He quickly sat back in the stroller and said,"I sit, I need to pee." We made a quick potty break and walked to the first desk I saw. We told the cute old ladies our pickle, they called back to the surgical desk and were told that someone would be out in a minute for me. The clock on the wall said that it was 11:20. We were waiting when I heard a voice behind me say,"Hey!" I turned around and saw B standing there with keys in his hand. Here was my Joseph Smith moment! B was my rescuing angel! He asked me how we got there and when I told him that we walked his eyes got big and he started shouting,"Wow! My wife is amazing! Everyone, gather around and listen to her story!" OK, he didn't really do that, but he should have! He just said,"What?! That's like 6 miles." Then he handed me the keys and said,"You can take the car." I truly started laughing and said,"That's funny that you thought that wasn't a given. There is no way I walked all the way down here to only get the keys and then walk home. Call me when you get done and I will drive down here and pick you up." Thankfully he didn't get done way late and when I said that we needed to go get him little B said,"We walking to the hopisal again to get daddy?" I told him that we didn't have to walk, that we could drive. He jumped up and down yelling,"Yeah yeah yeah!" Just for kicks I pulled up map my run.com which is a really cool website that lets you put in where you run and it'll tell you how far you went. Anyway, I put in the way that we walked and it was 6.66 miles away. We are going to make copies of the key and hide them in our garage, back yard, front yard and maybe tape some to the outside of the house. Walking truly wasn't that bad as long as I don't have to do it ever again. We talked about replacing the doorknobs, but obviously we haven't yet. We've been told the reason they open even when they're locked is in case there's a fire, you'll be able to get out without having to unlock the door. That is a great feature if your house is on fire. If it's not and you're just walking children to school, it has a tendency to be super annoying!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Voting