Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Woes of road debris

As K and I were driving home from taking M to school, I saw something in the road up ahead. I then saw that there were two of these somethings in the road. I couldn't tell what they were until they were right in front of us. There lying in the road were two really big chunks of asphalt. I was able to miss the first one, but not the second one. As soon as we hit it I could feel the tire go flat.
 Thankfully we were right next to a shopping center and we were able to pull in there and call B to see if he was back from running yet so that he could come rescue us. Just the other day K asked about tires on cars and how you take them off. I told him how and that daddy can take tires off, but so can I. He didn't believe me that I could do it too. I thought that I would be able to prove to him today that I can in fact change a tire. But, because I am inherently lazy I decided to just let B do it. I'm so glad that I did!
 We both thought that changing the tire would be fast and easy. Clearly, the things were on tighter than we thought. He tried for quite awhile. K kept telling us that we could go to the car place that was right across the parking lot and get their big tools to get the tire off. I told him they can't bring their big tools to us and we couldn't drive on the flat tire to get to the tools. He didn't get it, so we did something that he would understand. We said a prayer asking for help. You would think that we would have done that first rather than waiting until the car fell off the jack once and B's hands were so red and sore that he could hardly hold the key thing. At least we finally prayed right?! Anyway, as soon as we finished the prayer he got one of the bolt things loose. Then I remembered that there was a blanket in the trunk that maybe he could hold onto to protect his hands a little.
 Once all the bolt things were loose, K wanted to help unscrew them so the tire could come off. I totally love this picture!
Now why our spare tire is orange is a mystery to us. But at least B was able to get the old one off with a little heavenly help and get the spare on. We had so many tender mercies this morning with our tire incident. First, when it happened I was on the road we live off of and right next to a place I could pull in to. K would have hated it if we were on a busy road because I wouldn't have let him get out to help. He loves all things cars. So he was in heaven helping. Next, today is the first day in seven weeks that B didn't have to be at the hospital in the morning. So he was home and could come save us. Seeing how hard it was for him to take the tire off made me realize that although I do have brute strength, I may have had a hard time getting the tire off. I don't know if most people even noticed, but this morning was cloudy. So as B was fighting with the bolt things, the sun wasn't beating down on him. We were able to drive across the parking lot and get new tires and since it was just after opening time, we didn't have to wait all day. Yay for answered prayers, tender mercies and the boys in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Voting