Monday, November 25, 2013

And the award for worst mom of the year goes to...

Me. Yes ladies and gentlemen, I haven't been able to come up with a speech yet, but let me explain why there was no competition when it comes to this dreaded award. As we all know I do not have a green thumb. It's so bad that it seems when I walk past any plant or flower or tree, you get the idea, in any store, they seem to wilt a little. About a month ago our landlord had the grass guys come and plant seed. I was a little confused as to why he was planting the seed right before winter. When the temperatures at night can get to freezing or below. I didn't question his madness and smiled at the creepy grass guys when they looked through the window. Actually I didn't smile, I tried to hide behind the wall so they wouldn't see me. Anyway, I have never tended to freshly planted grass seed, I didn't know that I was supposed to be watering it every day for an hour. The landlord came over about a week and a half after it had been planted. He asked if we had been watering it. He wasn't too happy with the no answer he received. So, water it I did. I didn't think it was great that there were puddles of water after being watered for so long. I thought that it would drown the seeds. He called about 3 days later to see how the watering was going and told us that there shouldn't be puddles. If there are puddles, the seed could get washed away. Oops! He said to only water each area for ten minutes. It went well until the hose started to freeze at night because it's cold now. One morning I went out there and could pick the hose up like a stick. The entire thing was frozen. Needless to say, I didn't water the grass that day. Well, it warmed up, the hose defrosted as so the watering of the grass resumed. You might be wondering why this makes me a horrid mother. Wait for it!
 

Look at this face! What's not to love about it? He's such a good baby. This picture is actually a couple months old. He now has six teeth. Four of which he got at the same time. He weighs 20 pounds. Sleeps like a champ and has started to laugh when K acts crazy. Enter the dreaded account of horrible mothering. On Friday he had woken up from his nap. I gave him a bottle and changed his diaper. He had rolled over to his toys and was playing as I went outside to throw his diaper away and move the stupid water. Keep in mind that it was cold outside so as I walked to move the sprinkler I kept thinking,"this is so stupid! Why not wait until spring to plant grass?!" Anyway I moved the water, got sprayed in the process so then I was really annoyed because I unintentionally ran through the sprinkler when it was 50 degrees outside. Anyway, I get to the house and start taking of the muddy shoes before I go in. I try the door handle and it's locked! I remained calm for about.01 seconds. I don't even remember locking it. All I know is that this cute little baby is on the floor inside the house while I am locked out. I ran around to the front and opened the garage hoping that by some miracle I had left the door to the house unlocked. I already knew I hadn't. I lock all doors as soon as I am inside the house. I tried the front door too hoping that M and K had unlocked it for some reason before they went to school. It was locked too. I was totally locked out and the baby was inside all alone. B has a key to the front door on his keys, but he was at work. I had no phone, all of our neighbors work during the day. I thought to myself, "stay calm. What do you need to do?" A name popped into my head. There is a family in our ward that lives in the same community that we do. They live up the hill and around the corner. I was wearing B's yard shoes that are about seven sizes too big, but I took off running. I don't think I have ever run so hard and fast in my whole life. Truly, if I had run like that in high school I could have been #1 in the country if not the world! I made it to their house in lightning speed. I had prayed first that Heavenly Father would keep my baby safe. Then I prayed that she would be home. She home school's her boys and she told me that they like to be done by lunch time so they can eat with her husband when he comes home for lunch. I prayed and prayed that today would be a normal day for them and that they would be getting ready for lunch. As I rounded the corner, I saw their car in their driveway. Tender mercy! I got to their house and pounded on their door. When she answered I was breathing so hard that it feels like it took me close to a minute to tell her what was going on. Through huge gasps of air and the tears that had caught up with me I told her what had happened and asked if she could drive me to the hospital to get the key from B. She is an angel and an answer to my prayers. She told her boys to get in the car and she dashed us to the hospital. It's a seven minute drive but it felt longer than that. I don't know where the O.R's are at in the hospital. I didn't know where to go. I just ran into the first door. I'm sure the lady thought I was having a heart attack. I told her that I needed to find my husband. That he was doing surgeries. She sent me down the hall to another desk. I told the lady there that I had locked my baby in the house and needed to get a hold of my husband so that I could get his keys. I've never seen the 100 year old ladies that work at the desks at a hospital move so fast. She was on the phone and talking to B almost before I finished telling her his name. He told me to stay where I was and he would bring the keys to me. I don't know how long I stood there, maybe a minute, but I felt like he was never going to come. I just kept thinking of our sad little baby that was undoubtedly crying alone on the floor wondering why no one was picking him up and loving him. I saw B running down the hall, I ran and got the keys from him. When Jess had dropped me off at the hospital she told me that she was going to go to our house and see how the baby was doing. I hadn't even thought to ask B where he had parked, thankfully his car was right outside the doors. Another tender mercy! I zoomed home and prayed for no cops along the way. As I pulled into the driveway, Jess's boy's were walking across the driveway. I asked if he was freaking out. One of them said yes and the other one said,"No, he's just laying there motionless." Jess heard him say that and said,"He's fine, he's sleeping." As soon as I put the key in the door I heard him start to cry. It took me a minute to get the door opened in my frazzled state. I finally got in and ran and scooped him up. His cry was truly heartbreaking. He looked at me and just kept touching my face over and over as he cried. Jess gathered her boys and as she left she said that her oldest had said to her as they drove back to our house,"That baby's going to be fine. I said a prayer for him." When he said that her youngest said,"I want to say a prayer for him too!" I said thank you and even held it together until the door was shut. I cried and cried and cried after she had left. She and her boys really were an answer to my prayers on Friday. How do you thank some one adequately when you feel like they were your guardian angels for the day? You can't. When I told her thank you I felt so lame because I felt like what she had done to help me deserved so much more that a thank you. I am so thankful that little B was safe. That even though Heavenly Father controls the entire universe, he knew that there would be a baby that needed help. That he would send angels to sing him to sleep so he wouldn't be alone as he laid on the floor. Needless to say I now carry the spare key on my person and when I go outside to throw a diaper away,(I haven't watered the stupid grass since then. It can die and be replanted next spring. Not to mention the hose is frozen again.), I leave the door standing wide open.  

3 comments:

  1. I locked baby ev in the car, madness like you described ensued. But no one gave me the award for worst mother of the year! And you don't deserve it either! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! I'm so sorry! That has to have been so scary. I'm glad little B is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you make me laugh and than make me cry in your posts?!?! I love hearing how Heavenly Father gives us tender mercies to remind us how much He loves and watches over us! I LOVE reading your blog...can't wait for the book to come out on a store shelf near me soon....just sayin'.....Love you, miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Voting