Thursday, May 26, 2011

The trouble with bad eyes

K had an eye dr appointment the other day. To say it was a sad day is an understatement. I don't know why K dislikes the eye dr so much. He's been going since he was 9 months old. So you would think that it is just a normal part of life for him and that he would be calm and collected through the whole thing. Not so. He FREAKED out. He screamed like he was being beaten. Not that he has ever been beaten so I know what that cry sounds like, I just imagine it to sound that awful. Anyway, when the dr walked in, K shut his eyes and refused to open them. His eyes were shut so tightly that he had wrinkles all over his face. He was also screaming so loud that he couldn't hear me talking to him and he was on my lap. The dr was really patient and he just sat and waited for him to calm down. Now when I say calm down I mean crying at a normal volume and his eyes were open. The Dr looked at his eyes and said that he has a lazy eye that isn't getting better with just glasses. So, he needs to wear a patch. As soon as he said the word patch a flood of emotion came over me. I wore a patch, I hated my patch. I remember the smell of a patch. I remember that it made my eye so hot and itchy. I remember that it gave me headache because I had to try and see out of my left eye, which was my lazy eye. I remember feeling like everyone was looking at me with my patch on. A patch is awful awful awful on a good day. As we drove home from the eye dr I cried and cried because I felt so bad that he has to wear a patch. I tried to collect myself so that he wouldn't see me crying and cry himself. As I bent down to put the patch on his eye, I couldn't keep the flood gates in place. I cried and cried. I for sure cried harder than he did.







Clearly he wasn't too upset about the whole thing. Having a green patch with cars on it helps too. This isn't the first day he wore it either. The first day he wore one, he sat on the couch. He said he couldn't eat, play or read books because,"I can't see." That broke my heart. Getting the cute patches cost 9 cents more per patch than the ugly band aid ones that I had to wear. But B said that we could spend the extra money to get cute ones. K doesn't care what they look like, but it makes me feel better. He only has to wear it for two hours a day so that isn't bad, but I still feel bad that he has to wear one at all. Hopefully the patch will make it so he doesn't have to have the surgery to fix the lazy eye.

3 comments:

  1. The curse of the K-family sight...Sad day...Lucky for him, he has a generous dad who lets him get green patches...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard watching our children go through difficult times in life, and as mom's we just want to take all the pain and suffering away, but in the end they will be so much stronger, just like his little eye...sorry you had to go through that. He sure looks adorable with his car patch.
    You are such a sweet mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the whole not being able to see w/ the patch. That's why I always pulled the bottom edge up. It wasn't my fault it wouldn't stick after that and had to come off... :-) I'm glad he handles it well. It'll get better for you in time. Plus these one are much cuter than the horrible one's we had to wear!

    ReplyDelete

Voting